Friday 6 February 2009

A Blessing in Disguise

I am writing this blog from the comforts of my own home...in CANADA! That's right, I am home. Not for good...just for a two week visit, but a visit none the less. It feels so weird, but so good to be home. Some of the things I've missed: sleeping in my very comfortable double bed, looking in the fridge or pantry and having more than one thing to choose from to eat, going shopping at all my favourite stores (although I was quite disappointed...no good sales!) and of course seeing my friends and family after five long months! We kept the trip home on the DL because we wanted to surprise my best friend, Lucy from Lucy's Life. My parents had the difficult task of keeping it a secret and they did very well. We got here on Wednesday and that evening Lucy and her hubby were set to have dinner with my parents. When they got here, mom told them that one of my nieces was hiding and wanted Lucy and hubby to find her. Amy and I were hiding as well and gave them the shock of their lives. There was a lot of screaming, a lot of hugging and a little bit of crying. It was so fun! We are here until the 17th, when we will go back to Edinburgh and start looking for a job. Now a little about that...

On January 31st, Amy I worked our last shift at Baxters. The store isn't doing well financially so they decided not to keep the Christmas staff. Thats why this post is called 'A Blessing in Disguise' because if it weren't for loosing our jobs we wouldn't have had the time off to come home. The Tuesday before our last day we were checking tickets on-line for fun and found insanely cheap flights to Toronto. They were 258 pounds round trip! Our amazing parents agreed to pay for half of the ticket so we're talking 129 pounds each for two weeks. We would spend some of that on food and just living, so we figured we might as well go home where we can see our family and eat our parents food for two weeks!
It will be stressful trying to look for a new job when we get back, but it will all be worth it.

I'm off to get ready to go out for lunch with my parents to the Mandarin...oh, how I missed the Mandarin!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I hope you have a wonderful time at home! Way to make lemonade from lemons!