Tuesday 2 June 2009

Our Last Three Months

I can't believe we only have three months to go. Incredible. I have such mixed feelings about going home. I can't wait to see my family and friends. I can't wait to hug my nieces and meet my sweet little nephew for the first time. I miss my parents house and my bedroom (even though I'll only be there for a few weeks before I move to Waterloo). I'm excited to get my own apartment and finally be able to buy things at IKEA that I've loved for years but couldn't buy because I didn't have my own place. I'm excited to share my stories and pictures with the people I love in person.

BUT...

I love my job here. I love the people I work with. I love the fact that the bar closed at 12 but a bunch of us stayed till 3 am just talking and laughing. I love the city and the Royal Mile. I love being able to walk through buildings and on streets with so much history. I love the fact that for 5 pounds I can fly to Paris if I wanted to (which I do). I love being surrounded by Scottish accents, even though I'm so used to it now that they don't even sound Scottish anymore. I love that I'm annoyed at all the tourists in the city, even though I was one of them nine months ago. This feels like MY city and I'm going to miss it.

Don't worry, this is not my way of telling you that I'm not coming home in September. I'm just saying that it will definitely be a bittersweet moment. I can't wait to go home, but I (and Amy) will miss this place.

With that being said, Amy and I are going to try and make the most of our last three months here (without spending a lot of money). Here's what we've got planned:

- Not much going on in June. We'll maybe try and go to a few highland games in the area.
-We might head over to Northern Ireland for a few days in July. We'd stay with our flatmates mom and get to see the Giants Causeway and Belfast city, among other things. The end of July is the Clan Gathering, which has the world highland games championships.
-The month of August is the Edinburgh Festival. There will be lots of street performers, shows and people. It's going to be busy! Right now the plan is to quit our jobs around August 17th or so. Our oldest sister Lacey is planning on coming for two weeks so we want to be able to travel with her without worrying about working. We're not sure exactly what we will be doing when she is here but some highlights will be: showing her the city, going to London, somehow getting to France and Paris (we may take a boat from Dover, England to France) and possibly heading to Spain or Germany. Our cousin AJ is also planning on coming over for a few weeks so Amy and I will have one week with just Lacey, one week where Lacey and AJ are here and then one week where Lacey is gone and its just AJ. We are planning on going to Croatia and Prague with AJ... that is if we save up enough money. We've always got our visas though! We'll head back to the city for a few days to show AJ around, before heading home somewhere around September 10th (which is the day we left Canada to come over here!).

Those last three weeks are going to be busy...and expensive! Hopefully we can save up enough to do most of what we want to see. But, like I said, we've always got our visas and I'm not opposed to maxing them out if it means we get to travel before we go home.

On a side note, the weather here has been INCREDIBLE the past week. It's been sunny and about 25 degrees. The past few summers here have been really rainy so hopefully this means we'll be getting a warm, dry summer! Just like home :)

3 comments:

Logi said...

I can totally understand now why it will be so hard for you guys to leave, but I'm SO excited for you to come home!

Wendy said...

I don't envy you having to leave there. But I do envy the time you've had! I'm glad that you'll be doing more touring before going back home. But no Iceland, huh? Drats. I hope that your last 3 months are wonderful!!!

Katie said...

I wish we could go to Iceland but the tickets are a couple hundred pounds. We can go to several countries for that amount, so I'll have to see Iceland another time!